Every Day Has a Map

When I ride my bicycle, which is almost daily except for those days when it is raining heavily  or there is too much snow on the ground, I find myself making a map. It may not be the most philosophical map of life, the future, or anything extremely deep, but I do record my day’s movements on my bicycling computer which uploads to an exercise website called Strava. An example of this can be seen above.

Maps have been an important part of my life since childhood. As an adult I have  been called “Map Boy” by an ex in the past, and this was well before GPS became the norm. I have a nice collection of atlases, and I have  files full of National Geographic maps and  I remember drafting geologic maps for my BS degree. Orienteering, that esoteric sport of running through the woods with a paper map and compass to find hidden and seemingly unattainable waypoints was a youthful passion.

Today when I bicycle, my daily map shows me where I traveled, and is used in conjunction with brief notes that I make after my ride. Often the map which was drawn for me by the GPS computer tells me all that I need to know, but if I need to annotate something important, like the sighting of an unusual animal such as an eagle, hawk, or a large snake, I make notes in my logbook. The possibility of sighting wildlife is the singularly most important  reason for me to  ride, and I try to remove myself from congested urban  areas as much as possible.

Post ride I frequently find it important to jot down not only my wildlife sightings or the weather conditions, but also my positive or negative thoughts and reveries that may have hounded me during my excursion. Unfortunately, sometimes I am not feeling 100%, I may be struggling with personal issues, I have worries or I recollect the painful past. My map can recall for me the exact locations of their occurrences, and fortunately also assist me in recollecting where I may have had beautiful memories. The wind may be strong and the temperatures may be excessive,  yet the ride will continue, and I normally will not let myself be overcome with cerebral issues. It is always best to have a clear mind and to only concentrate on the activity.

My daily bicycling map with its corresponding notes are a reflection of the day that I have lived, a short piece of personal history,  much like the diaries of some. Irregardless of what tomorrow may bring, there will hopefully be another map.

[wmd-rss url=”#ed677″ items=”7″ ls-id=”58c61b1a30058″/]